My love for Germany just multiplied when I learned about the Bayern Ticket or the Bavaria Ticket. It is a ticket that cuts down the cost of travel to less than half and allows you to thoroughly and effortlessly explore the gorgeous state of Bavaria. We used the Bayern Ticket on 5 out of our 7 days in Bavaria and saved enormous amounts of money. We used it to travel from Munich to Schliersee and the neighbouring countryside towns, explore all of Munich, visit Austria, travel to Neuschwanstein Castle and head back to the airport!
Here is all the information you need about it:
What is a Bayern Ticket?
A Bayern Ticket is a magical piece of paper that allows you to use regional transport within Bavaria unlimited number of times on any given day.
How long is a Bayern Ticket valid for?
A Bayern Ticket is valid for one day subject to the timings given below:
Weekdays: 9 am to 3 am on the following day
Weekends: Midnight to 3 am on the following day
How many people can travel on a Bayern Ticket?
5 people can travel on a Bayern ticket, subject to the condition that all the travellers must be together. The ticket is printed on one single piece of paper and cannot be split. I was travelling alongwith my family and since we all travelled together, this ticket worked perfectly.
What is the price of a Bayern ticket?
The reason why I called the Bayern Ticket a magical piece of paper is because of the incredible amount of money you save thanks to it.
Here is the price for a regular Bayern Ticket valid for second class travel for:
1 person EUR 25
2 persons EUR 31
3 persons EUR 37
4 persons EUR 43
5 persons EUR 49
So, we as four people in normal circumstances would have had to pay 100 Euros had we bought a ticket each individually. However, if you see the prices above, we only paid 43 Euros!
Where can one buy the ticket?
This ticket can be easily bought online or on the DB app or on a ticket vending machine installed on any station in Bavaria.
(Note – If you buy this ticket from the ticket vending staff, an additional fee of 2 Euros will be levied.)
What modes of transport are included?
You have unlimited access during the period of validity to any regional and local transport of Bavaria. Most bus lines are also included. Thus it includes the following trains:
Trains with the letters RB, RE, IRE, ALX, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, BOB (Bayerische Oberlandbahn) and M (Meridian) written on them.
(Trust me, you don’t need to use anything apart from the trains listed above in order to thoroughly explore Bavaria)
You cannot use this ticket for travelling by the superfast German trains called the ICE.
What makes this ticket awesome?
Now that you have all the information, let me share with you the real perks of using the Bayern Ticket:
1. You can use it to visit Salzburg, Austria from anywhere in Bavaria. (We saved over 200 Euros thanks to this ticket)
2. The Bayern Ticket is not just meant for travel outside Munich. It covers all modes of transport required to explore Munich. What that means is that just this ticket is enough for you to visit all attractions within and outside Munich.
3. Large families with lots of kids below 15 can celebrate. Parents or grandparents can take any number of their own children or own grandchildren on this ticket. (The limit of maximum 5 persons is waived off in such situations)
4. The Bayern Ticket will not only let you use road transport in Munich, but you won’t have to pay for it even when you travel to major cities within Bavaria like Augsberg, Nuremburg, etc.
5. If you are only going to travel at night, you can save some more money by buying the Bayern Ticket Nacht instead of the regular Bayern Ticket.
If you want more information, please visit the official website of Deutsche Bahn and make sure you use this magical money-saving ticket to explore Bavaria.
Pic Credit: By Paul Smith from UK